Wednesday 28 July 2010

Update on Arthur's Bridge / Well Lane Junction

Since I last posted on this accident hotspot a few weeks ago there has been another accident and I received an answer to my question to Surrey's Local Committee.

In response to my question at the Local Committee I was told that the Safety Review I had asked for could only be done for new junctions. Despite the poor safety record at this junction it seems a Safety Review will not be considered. The County Council did agree to put the matter to another committee concerned with road safety. I haven't had any feedback from that meeting.

When I sought further action I was told that the County Council can't legislate for poor driving. I think this rather misses the point.

Whilst I was considering next steps to improve safety at this dangerous junction I drove right into an accident last Sunday. I was heading for Morrisons supermarket on Sunday afternoon. As I approached the top of Arthur's Bridge Road I became aware of a resident trying to pull out of his drive and another vehicle waiting to make the left turn towards Lockfield Drive. I drove around a parked car and edged into a space. It was then that I realised the traffic wasn't moving onto Lockfield Drive. In the middle of the junction, heading for a right turn onto Lockfield Drive there was a car with the driver's side badly dented. To the left of the junction was another car which I assume had hit the first car. Police were on the seen and directing traffic. Drivers coming out of Arthur's Bridge had to turn left onto Lockfield Drive.

I have seen no information about this accident since Sunday. I hope this means that no serious injury was suffered. This does pose the question as to how many non-injury accidents there may have been at the junction. I have written to the police to see if they have the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.