Friday 7 October 2011

Full horror of bridge access emerges ...

Apart from checking that the consultation on the new canal bridge was on the Woking Council web site I had not looked at the detail.  I assumed the pictures and plans would be ones I had seen before. It was only when I walked through the Peacocks tonight on the way to the cinema and saw the display in the entrance foyer that the full horror of accessing the bridge was brought home to me.

Pedestrians wanting to use the bridge to access the town can walk up 24 steps to the  bridge or they can go in the lift.  To access the long ramp (which appears from the plans to be only for cyclists) pedestrians will need to go on to and along the canal path.  This is an unlit path and it makes a very long route

Given the number of pushchairs that go across the current bridge, along with wheelchairs and mobility scooters I can send a great demand on lift capacity - which has not yet been announced

You can view the consultation online on Woking Council web site or on the first floor of the Lighbox until Saturday 8 October, then down on the ground fllor; in the Council offices (hidden behind the reception kiosk) and in the Town Square entrance to the Peacocks.

Responses can be completed on the web form or sent to the email address mailto:bedserbridgeproposal@woking.gov.uk or put on paper forms available at the Lighbox and Council offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.