Thursday 10 January 2013

Two opportunities to Cycle Woking in 2013

Two Woking Bike Events for 2013
Great news this week that the Woking Bikeathon is returning and that Pedal4Charity will take place again this year.

Woking Bikeathon
The Surrey Advertiser brought news of the return of the Bikeathon this week.  The popular cycle event was run by Leukemia Research until 2011.  After their decision to no longer run the event in Woking the Rotary Club has decided to take over the event.  It will take place on Sunday 12 May, setting off from Bishop David Brown School in Sheerwater.  The event will raise funds for local charities including Woking Hospice, the White Lodge Centre, Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, The Children’s Society and Woking Community First Responders.

I took part in a very wet but enjoyable Bikeathon a few years ago and will celebrate the return of the popular event by taking part this year.

I understand there will be more details of the 2013 Bikeathon on the Rotary website in the future.

Pedal4Charity
Pedal4Charity today confirmed that their cycle event, run from The Cricketers in Horsell and raising money for Woking Hospice will be back for its 6th year on Sunday 15 September.

Last year this event and associated fundraising by The Cricketers during the year raised £45,000 for our local hospice facilities.

I didn't cycle in 2012, but I did go along and support the event.  I did the course in 2011, when I was lulled into a false sense of security by the relatively easy first half of the ride.  After the stop at the Rose and Crown in Thorpe there was rather harder ride across some very muddy ground.  I had aching thighs for some time afterwards. Despite this I have decided 2013 is the year for the double and aim to take part in Pedal4Charity as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.