Wednesday 30 June 2010

The end of free swimming?


It is a real disappointment that our new government has dropped the free swimming scheme that was due to run until March 2011. The scheme provided for free swimming for young and older people. My two children both benefitted from the scheme. Users had to sign up to the scheme and were issued with a card to show on each visit to the pool. Initially signing up was free of charge, but more recently a £2 charge was introduced (presumably to cover the cost of administration and the card itself). Until this scheme came in it was getting very expensive just to take two children swimming. I’m sure the actual cost can be quite prohibitive for those with bigger families. My older daughter can now head to the pool by herself and a free swim was a great way of keeping her occupied and exercised at weekends and in the holidays. She loves swimming and it was one more way of keeping her away from the computer.

I have to confess to having less knowledge of how useful the scheme was for older people but I can imagine it was of great benefit to those on a fixed income. One less thing to pay for is always welcome.

I’m particularly unhappy that the scheme is set to end in July, just as the school holidays begin. Several years ago, during a brief period of Lib Dem control of Woking Council, we were keen to provide free swimming, although just for school holiday periods. The scheme was trialled over an Easter holiday and was popular. Local police figures showed a drop in anti-social behaviour during that holiday period, Hardly conclusive I know but I do firmly believe that offering young people some positive activity to fill their time with, that is accessible to all, can play a part in reducing less desirable behaviour.

I note that Liberal Democrats in Three Rivers, Hertfordshire are keeping the free swimming scheme running, at least to the end of the school holidays. Wouldn’t it be great if Woking Council could do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.