Friday 10 September 2010

New cycle crossing of Victoria Way

Crossing over Victoria Way in a rush to work this morning I saw a site notice. I got chance to have a look on the way home. It is an application for a cycle crossing of Victoria Way. The plan emanates from Surrey County Council. The detail is not clear but I think the plan is for a separate crossing for cyclists. The notice says the plans can be seen at the WBC offices but I can't see where there are to be found online. A search of applications for both wards that meet at the road - Horsell West and Goldsworth East produces no relevant application and the Surrey CC site only seems to have applications for mineral extraction. The Cycle Woking website has details of a new crossing of the canal in the Hermitage area but nothing about this plan.

I will continue my search and report back when I have full details of this plan.

UPDATE
Shortly after posting this I received the plans for the crossing in the post. As a councillor for the area I was notified directly. This still doesn't answer my issue that it is not easy for local residents to access this information. Why can't such plans go on to the Internet as for planning applications.

I was also made aware by a colleague that as this is the County Council the notice is effectively a "traffic order" not an application and so they will go ahead and build the crossing unless there is a legal objection. In fact work has now begun to clear the bushes and other plants near to the Council offices in preparation for the crosssing.

I have no reason to object to the crossing. A separate cycle crossing makes sense and gives both pedestrians and cyclists more room. I am just unhappy about the process and Surrey's lack of consultation with local people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.