Saturday 8 May 2010

Next steps

So, after all the hard work of the campaign, I am delighted to be Horsell West's new representative on Woking Borough Council. Now the real work starts ...

There are three main strands that I will focus on in the coming weeks

Getting Informed
I need to be up to data on current Council issues, my role as a councillor and the issues that my predecessor (Richard Sanderson) has been dealing with in Horsell. I was a councillor between 2004 and 2008 so this gives me some advantage over a 'virgin' councillor but I am sure I still have much to learn over the coming weeks and months. We have an informal meeting of Lib Dem councillors this weekend, I am attending an induction for all new councillors early next week and Richard and I will get together for a briefing session later in the week.

Finding my role on the Council
All councillors attend full council meetings and need to work with the rest of the group to decide which committees they should sit on. For the group running the Council several members need to serve on the Executive which runs the Council and sets policy direction. The Overview and Scrutiny Committee casts a critical eye over Council decisions. Then there are two essential committees with regulatory powers - Planning and Licensing. Planning is the committee that residents are most likely to have encountered. Planning applications go before the committee for everything from a household extension to a major new development. Licensing looks after all licensed premises, pubs and bars, late night opening of restaurants and cafes. Finally the Standards Committee is responsible for ensuring high standards of conduct among councillors and looks at any legislation involving standards, as they relate to the borough council and the Appeals committee deals with appeals on homelessness.

I need to find my role, one that will best represent Horsell and use my existing knowledge and experience. I was Vice-Chair of an Overview and Scrutiny Committee (there used to be several) and Chair of Licensing Committee during my previous time on the Council. However, planning matters are important and I should maybe consider this committee. Richard Sanderson was on the committte in the past.

Listening to residents and setting priorities
The previous two strands are important and necessary, but most important of all is taking forward your priorities. I would like to work with the County Council to improve road safety. I will push again for real, effective traffic calming in Brewery Road; measure to slow traffc in South Road, tackling parking in the village centre, dealing with commuter parking. I will follow closely plans for a WWF HQ on Brewery Road car park and raise resident's serious concerns. I'd like to see more youth provision in the village.

But what about you? What are your priorities? What do you think I should be doing in the coming weeks and months. Please comment on here or send me an email, drop me a line or telephone. All my details are available from the Council but for now use my personal email annmarie.barker@gmail.com as it will take a while for me to be set up on council systems.

Once I have all your ideas I will post on here, letting you know what I will be working on, in the short, medium and long term. I will then report back on progress. I look foward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.