Friday 9 November 2012

Does the Co-op understand social responsibility?



I have always held the Co-operative in pretty high regard.  They offer ‘convenient’ local shops that serve communities and run an ethical business.   Costs are usually a little higher than at the bigger supermarket but that‘s the price you pay for being able to pop in for a few pints of milk or a loaf of bread.  Until recently my only grumble was that staff at my local store sometimes seemed to focus less on operating tills and reducing queues than on stocking shelves.  Not a big deal just a hassle when you are you in a rush.

My view was changed by events a week or so ago.  The disabled daughter of a lady from Pyrford whom  I know only through Twitter took a trip to the local Co-op.  The child in question uses a wheelchair. She had gone to the local  Co-op with her 14 year old aunt to buy a comic.  Teenager and child were refused entry to the store because ‘wheelchairs were not allowed inside’.  This incident was very upsetting for both children and left the disabled child in particular feeling she cannot go to shops as she is scared about what might happen and how people will react to her.  The events have really knocked the poor child's confidence.

That the incident happened was bad enough but what followed was even worse.  There is yet to be a proper apology from the Co-op.  There has been no suggestion of what the company will do to right the wrong it has done to the family.  There has been no indication of what action the store will take to make sure this does not happen again.  The Surrey Advertiser covered the story and got a quote from the company which merely said they would like to apologise for the upset and that there had been an ‘unfortunate misunderstanding’.

I took a look at the Co-operative website to re-assure me about their ethics and understand the company policies.  The first thing that struck me was the company by-line “here for you for life”.  Obviously not if you are in a wheelchair.  

Reading on I found the company has a great initiative to be the most socially responsible business in the UK.  Hard to believe this given recent performance.  

I learnt that in 2012 the Co-op launched an ethical plan in which it states “we will continue to be socially inclusive”.  They haven’t even started being inclusive here in Woking!  This ethical plan is great on giving back to the community and the environment but I can see nothing in there about inclusivity for those who have a disability.  Read it for yourself here

I would like to see the Co-op focus a little more on its core business.  I would like to see Co-op shops accessible to all.  I would like staff to be inclusive and offer the same level of service to all customers.

After this dreadful incident I would have liked to have heard from the Co-op  that it was speaking to the staff member involved, offering further training in customer service skills, particularly in relation to customers with specific needs, finding out whether other staff in the store also needed this training and reviewing layout to see if the store could be made more accessible whilst still having the full range of stock displays.

Maybe this will come but it has been some time since the incident and the last I heard was that the Co-op were investigating the matter.

The Co-op suggests the incident was an 'unfortunate misunderstanding'.  I think that unfortunately the Co-op is misunderstanding its social responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.