Monday 31 December 2012

Looking back at 2012 - Quarter Two

The second quarter of 2012 was very much dominated by the build up to and the event of Jubilee celebrations.  I was pleased to play a small part in Horsell's massive street party


April to June 2012
Horsell was in shock at the loss of its bridge over the canal for 9 months (little did we know it could be a year!) and I worked hard to ensure the diversion route was clearly signposted and concerns of residents along the route were alleviated.

I nominated Nathan Novelli from Horsell and was delighted that he won Woking Outstanding Achievement Award for setting up his own drama school.

My suggestion to have a Powerpoint display to help any members of the public attending council meetings was rejected by Conservative councillors.  I did achieve one small success in getting planning application numbers displayed on visuals during planning meetings.

Kanye West opens Horsell's new allotments


A new Horsell allotment site was opened by Cleve West and I was delighted to be an invited guest.  I had requested more allotment provision back in 2008.  It was great to see the aim for extra allotment space achieved four years later.













Stamp prices rose to 60p for First Class and 50p for second class.

I was elected as Deputy Leader of the Lib Dem Group on Woking Council.

The wooden canal bridge leaves Horsell
The bridge over the Basingstoke canal was removed in May having been cut off since April as part of works on the new WWF building.

The Queen celebrated her Diamond Jubilee and Horsell celebrated with a street party attended by thousands despite the ever present rain.  This great event spawned the Horsell Second Thursday Club which has went on to launch other community events in the second half of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.