Tuesday 11 December 2012

Why would anyone do this to young children?

St Peter's Church Centre - the blaze which thankfully
burnt out started in an outbuilding at the centre


I was totally horrified, and somewhat incredulous to read today of yet another act of arson affecting a community facility in Woking.  I wrote just over a week ago about the blazes that caused serious damage at Toad Hall nursery in Goldsworth Park and the village hall in Mayford.  I also mentioned the fire at Sayers Croft in Cranleigh, an educational facility used by Woking school children.


Thankfully the latest blaze,  at St Peter's Church Centre in Old Woking, did not do any serious damage.  However the intention of those who started the blaze would appear to have been destructive.  As the Surrey Advertiser reported this episode also involved a burglary, not a factor (as far as I am aware) in any of the other arson incidents.

In the last two cases, St Peter's Church Centre and Toad Hall, it must have been very evident that the premises catered for young children.  I just can't understand why anybody would want to deliberately damage facilities that provide care for young children.

The police did arrest two young men after the Toad Hall blaze.  They have been bailed until January.  I hope there is further progress on these cases and that all our local community facilities remain vigilant until this situation is resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.