Wednesday 17 March 2010

Beware of Callers Offering Free Burglar Alarms


Last night I recieved a sales call at home. This, in itself, is unusual because our phone is TPS (Telephone Preference Service) registered. Signing up to this free service dramatically cuts down the number of sales calls. There are still a few that come through but most companies abide by the rules and the threat of a fine.


The caller said they were from the 'National Crime Research Group' and due to 'a slight increase' in crime in the area they were working on a campaign to improve safety. Alarm bells immediately started ringing for me as I had never heard of this organisation and I knew there hadn't been a rise in crime in our area. I carried on listening as I wanted to know the reason for the call. I can't recall the exact words used by the caller but the implication was that this organisation was working with police or another recognised body.


The caller told me that my household was one of four lucky winnners of a free burglar alarm. She offered to get her colleague to call me straight away to arrange a visit and a time to fit this new 'free' alarm. At this point I said 'no thank you' and ended the call.


I tried dialling 1471 but the number was withheld. I did an internet search and no record of the company name I was given. I then sent the details of the call to our local neighbourhood police officer to see if this was something he had encountered before.


As expected I had a prompt reply today. The neighbourhood officer had not come across this before but colleagues came up with details. I was sent a very useful press release explaining that these people provide a free burglar alarm but commit 'lucky winners' to contracts that can cost thousands of pounds.


The 'con' has been reported to trading standards across the country. Callers use various 'company names' and say they are working with the police or calling as part of a government scheme or researching for a fire and security alarm company. They aim to visit straight away to fit the 'free' alarm but also sign people up to pay fees for monitoring, upkeep, and rapid response facilities. These fees can add up to thousands.


If you do sign up for one of these schemes you have a seven day cooling off period in which you can cancel. However if you have the alarm fitted within these seven days you waive this right.


The warning is beware. Be very cautious. If you receive one of these calls report it to the local police. Please advise older residents you know of this con.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.