Friday 8 October 2010

A week of sad losses

This week I have heard of several deaths, each of which has made me feel rather sad. These were not deaths of relations or even close friends, just people, one of whom I never even met, who touched my life in some small way.

The first sad news came on Monday when I heard that the husband of Woking county councillor Elizabeth Compton had died suddenly. I had only met Mrs Compton on a few occasions but she often referred to her husband in discussions. I saw them together at a meeting earlier in the year and it was obvious they were a devoted couple. I understand that Mr Compton‘s death was totally unexpected. It must be so difficult to lose somebody in that way and my thoughts are with Mrs Compton.

Sad news part two came on Tuesday when I learnt that former local reporter Eileen Whatmore had died. I knew Eileen as the reporter from The Informer, but she had a long history with newspapers in the area. Eileen was always helpful and friendly, if a little exasperated when I sent her Word attachments she couldn’t read on her old Mac system at The Informer! Reading the news on the getsurrey website today I learned that this was also a sudden death. Eileen worked until she was 74, just two years ago. She once revealed to me that issues with her pension led her to work long beyond the usual retirement age but she always seemed to be enjoying her work. I particularly appreciated her help in arranging photographers and writing articles to publicise issues in Horsell. I last saw her earlier in the year, during the campaign for the General Election. She will be sadly missed.

The third piece of sad news started when I read a Facebook post on Monday. I learnt that a friend’s brother was missing. I got to know this lady because our daughters became friends at school. I never met her brother Darryn but his son, cousin of my daughter’s friend, often stayed with her family. My daughter knew the son well and I met him several times. The family live in Stroud and Darryn had last been seen there on Friday afternoon. When he didn’t return home his family thought he may have headed to Woking where he had previously lived for 30 years. I was glad to help spread the message that he was missing and ask people to look out for him via my Facebook page and through Twitter. Sadly I learnt yesterday that his body had been found. As this story unfolded I learnt of a “smiley” family man who, along with his wife, entertained children at parties and events. He was the same age as me and leaves behind a wife, a son just a couple of years older than my elder daughter, his sister and mother, a niece and a nephew that I know of, plus I am sure many more relations and friends. My thoughts are with all who knew him.

I’m not really sure where this post is going but I guess my point is that each of these people was peripheral to my life but I feel sad about each loss. For the first it was the thought of a partner left behind, on the second it was that Eileen’s life ended so soon after her retirement and for the third it was the loss of life at a young age and the great loss to so many. I suppose the other point is that each played a big part in and contributed to their community. Mr Compton supported his wife’s work as a county councillor, Eileen knew and was known throughout the Woking area and Darryn was known in his local area as an entertainer.

Each death brought a little sadness to my weeek.

1 comment:

  1. Eileen's funeral arrangements are:

    Woking Crematorium St Johns on 19th October at 3.30pm.

    Flowers or a donation if you wish.One of the charity's that Eileen
    supported and has been chosen is the RNLI. Donations can be made on
    the day or via:

    Woking Funeral Service
    119-121 Goldsworth Rd
    Woking
    Surrey
    01483 772266

    If you need more details Email jezzwhatmore@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.