Wednesday 10 October 2012

Councillor calls for more police resource to tackle Horsell burglaries

Earlier today I was shocked to learn about a spate of burglaries in Horsell over the last fortnight.  The number of burglaries in our local area is a great concern.   Horsell is a low crime area but from time to time we do suffer from peaks in burglaries.  The latest wave of criminality came as a particular surprise because it followed a spike of break-ins a few months ago.  I expected a period of less crime as good local police work had led to the arrest and conviction of those who had committed crimes in the area.

I wrote today to the Neighbourhood Commander for Woking asking for action on burglary in Horsell.  I have assured him that I am very satisfied with our local neighbourhood policing team but they clearly need more resource in the short term to tackle this problem.

In addition to calling for this extra resource I recognise there is much residents can do to make homes less susceptible to burglars.  Surrey Police advise:

- keep gates closed and locked when not in use
- add trellis to gates and fences to deter climbing
- keep all tools out of site in a secure place
- keep doors and windows closed and locked when not in use
- consider an intruder alarm

Our local neighbourhood police officer PC Kate Hizzey and PCSO Derek Slee are always willing to visit residents and advise on home safety.  Contact them on woking@surrey.police.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.