Tuesday 9 October 2012

Countryliner loses Surrey bus contract

Early this morning I saw online that Countryliner (a provider of bus services in Horsell and Woking) had gone into administration.  Initial concern that this would affect local bus services turned to relief when further investigation revealed it was Countryliner Sussex that has problems and it appeared Surrey services were safe.

I had seen previous stories that Countryliner had financial issues but this news came out of the blue.

It was only when I saw my colleague Will Forster's blog update that I learnt Surrey County Council had taken prompt action to safeguard local bus services.  Surrey has terminated its contract with Countryliner and arranged for Abellio to run the 73 bus that goes from Chobham through Horsell to Woking and the 81 bus that serves Barnsbury and runs via Mount Hermon Road to Woking.  The Abellio service starts on Wednesday 10 October and all season tickets and school bus passes will be accepted by the new service provider.

Well done to Surrey for a swift response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.